Why Visit Us
Why visit Altmann + Cherny
Opals are Australia's national gemstone
and a beautiful memento of your trip to Australia.
We understand that for the inexperienced, buying an opal may be a daunting experience.
Visit us for a comprehensive introduction into Australian Opals.
Our complimentary Opal Discovery Tour includes:
- A unique film, depicting life on the opal fields, the struggle, the romance and the history of the opal industry.
- Viewing of the “Olympic Australis”, the world’s largest and most valuable Gem Opal, found in 1956 at Coober Pedy, South Australia, weighing 17,700 carats and valued at AU$2,500,000.
- Opal fossils, including fossilised bones of a plesiosaur.
- Hands on explanation on opal mining, where opals are found,
how opals are cut and polished, the different types of opal and what to look for in an opal.
- (allow 20 minutes for the tour)